This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Everyone hates Fujifilm?

Discussion in 'Fujifilm X News & Rumors' started by Globares, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Globares

Globares Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Tony Northrup published quite interesting video comparing "color science" of Fuji, Canon, Nikon and Sony (based on the blind test taken by 1500 participants). It's a valuable material, even if the set of test photos could have been better INMHO, however the most interesting and unexpected were some findings and statements, partially based on the brand loyality results of the poll. To be specific:
    1. Everyone hates Fujifilm
    2. Fuji users hate Sony
    3. Fuji has the meanest set of users (comment provided as a possible explenation of the point 1.).
    4. There's set of really hostile Fuji users out there (comment provided as a possible explenation of the point 1.).

Well, that surprised me a bit, especially given the fact I'm an active Sony system user (not sure it's so prudent to remind this here anymore ;)) and I always considered the Fuji forum culture to be a friendly one (actually this opinion is not limited to this forum).

Any ideas about the reasons of such statements?

Hostile Fuji users - please reveal yourself ;)

Jaydot and JimFenner like this.
  2. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I saw his review of the Nikon Z7. It nearly put me off buying.
    I now have the Z7 and whilst it has some difference compared to my D850 it is in my opinion the equal of the D850 with some small differences in AF performance in low light.
    Basically if you asked me an opinion of his opinion then I would say about as useful/useless as Ken Rockwell! I let you make your own judgements.

As far as Fuji users go they are called people and come in many different shapes, sizes, colours, creeds and level of intelligence. Judge if you must but probably better to just be friendly and helpful. :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  3. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Actually, I think that a lot of his content is actually very good as he backs it with numbers, not just opinions. There is also a lot of opinionated content in his channel which I sometimes agree with and sometimes I don't, but that's to be expected with opinions. Although I have to say, I agree with him more than I disagree.

And what he says about Fuji users, I tend to agree with even though I'm a Fuji user myself.

Globares likes this.
  4. Pobert58

Pobert58 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Interesting study, but it is about people and not cameras. Cameras are tools. I shoot very high end Nikons and Canons at work, and have a Fuji XT-2 as well. On the personal side I shoot XH-1, XT-2 and XT-1. Some of the best photos I ever made were with my Canon gear, but I gave it all away to a disabled veteran who, as a last resort, had to sell his camera gear in order to buy textbooks for college. (Books are not covered under the GI Bill in the USA.)

So what's the difference? Tools are tools and it is the craftsman behind them that makes the product. I don't hate people who use different brands of tools, and I don't hate the tools because they are not Fuji. I would hope I would be able to appreciate what they built with those tools regardless of who made them. Tony is right in the video, "[Applied] Color is like wine, it is mostly full of bullcrap."

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  5. JimFenner

JimFenner Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Tony's video is very interesting and he doe snot waste our time by padding it with fluff.
    I am not in the business of constructing blind (I suppose it's a pun in this context!) surveys
    Given that I am an tiddler, not a pro, and I don't have great colour vision, videos like Tony's potentially save me thousands that I might otherwise be tempted to spend on calibrated monitors and dark grey workplaces

And like him or hate him, I do appreciate KR's website - his essays did more than anyone to help cure my GAS obsession.

YogiMik and cug like this.
  6. hyh

hyh GoldMember

-Return to Top-

Points 1 and 2 are based on real numbers - but I don't know for sure whether his blind test was done well. Ideally, there should have been randomization on fake brand labels and photos, and I suspect this was not the case.

Points 3 and 4 are conjectures without real data. There are people like the A#gr% Ph*t*grapher - I don't know how mean or hostile he is -- never watched more than a minute or so his videos (too uninteresting).

jknights likes this.
  7. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I don't hate any other camera owners and I doubt whether any of the people in the world who hate me hate me because I own 4 Fuji cameras. Just saying.....

Bannerman and jknights like this.
  8. Alex Cremers

Alex Cremers Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Could it be that Tony is somehow provoking Fuji shooters by regularly giving unfair or untrue statements about Fujifilm? Maybe that's why he gets an unusual amount of negative comments by Fuji users?

9. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

All about viewing numbers, added to that from here so job done for Mr and Mrs Northrup inc

LionSpeed likes this.
  10. jamie allan

jamie allan Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've enjoyed stuff I've read and watched from Tony and Chelsea Northrup - I've got their book Stunning Digital Photography - and I've watched a number of their youtube videos. I'm assuming he has come to the conclusion about Fuji users simply from his feedback on youtube and other mediums. I think using the word hate is too strong for whatever evidence he has though. I also don't know how that stands up when you consider this site and it's sub forums for Sony specific but also the sub forum for other cameras. I've been on a number of other non-brand specific sites as well as Pentax and Olympus forums and I've got to say that this Fuji site and the Olympus UK E-Systems sites are the friendliest I've been on. I truly do not understand this brand specific negativity - as I've stated before, in my life I've only ever come across this twice. In the vast majority of cases when I've been in the company of other photographers if there has been any discussion on brands (which has rarely occurred) then it's been purely curiosity.
    I think too much time reading the comments of faceless keyboard jockeys who probably(almost certainly) wouldn't spit their bile in real life might be giving him a skewed view of things.

YogiMik likes this.
  11. FujiMongol

FujiMongol Premium Member

-Return to Top-

So Ken became the Fuji-shooter representative??? :confused:
    Let's all get bold, overweight, inked and brawling, imagine a whole legion of it, and as a minority group we count on sympathy so they can't touch us :D

If you enter the street with a FUJI around your neck, doors will shut as curtains close;
    a dreadful silence roams the street, tumble weed rolls;
    it's high noon,
    the barrel get pointed, a shot follows....
    mwhuhahahaaaa :cool:

12. Mr SMW

Mr SMW Triple Platinum Member

-Return to Top-

Bit of a weird one that...

So Sony is the undisputed Number One in everything but ergonomics & menus having suddenly had a huge reversal in opinion on colour science.

Who knows...

Re. Fuji users being 'hated' more than any other brand user? Probably true with Sony users second. I think it's the underdog thing coming into play.

Re. the comment Fuji users being hostile, - that one is utterly bizarre.

He's an odd one is Tony. At least he seems to have moved on since his cigar chomping review days.

Ultimately, it's all just opinion and everyone is allowed one.

I'd really love to take a Z6, an EOSr, an A7iii and shoot them alongside my XT3 with an equivalent (as possible) lens and see how they all faired and make my own mind up.

Pros and cons to all of it of course and if shooting raw, all this 'colour science' is mostly bollocks!

jamie allan and YogiMik like this.
  13. sth47

sth47 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have never heard of Tony. Nevertheless I watched it for 1 minute and that was quite enough.

14. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You folks have to understand that Tony is posting controversial content to get his viewership numbers increased. Due to recent changes in sponsor/advertiser payments, reports say they have been cut in half, the so called Youtube personalities, who rely on income from their channels to pay the bills, have to up their game considerably and increase their viewership to compensate for these lower payments. A week or so ago Tony alienated the 4/3 group of photographers by posting a video claiming that 4/3 is DEAD. A lot of people scurried over to his channel to see what he was saying and his numbers went up. Now he does this and makes some claims not about the Fuji equipment but about the community that uses the equipment and I suppose a lot of people will watch to see what he is saying. Yes, he is getting a reputation similar to how many people feel about Ken Rockwell and it is apparent he’s earning it. I consider him nothing more that click bait and while I never really paid much attention to his videos, I completely wrote him off after I watched his first review of the X-T2 which he posted the day of or a day after the X-T2 was released without ever having one in his hands and using photos he grabbed from the Internet. He did later remove that and replace it but by then I had lost all faith in anything he had to say and since then he has gotten worse. I think he’s afraid that if his Youtube channel does not produce, he might have to actually go out and get a job because what I have seen of his commercial photography work, many folks have done significantly better with their cell phones.

Mike Gorman, YogiMik, (c)ow and 2 others like this.
  15. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

For me and me only imo the bloke is a fool and have never watched his stupid videos, if I want to see a review I will look on Flickr for the images of what the camera can do and then I will go to the local Jessops and buy it. He does it to get more views.

apsphoto and Alex Cremers like this.
  16. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, just some nonsense to increase traffic, and it obviously worked as evidenced by the link posted here.

17. runswithsizzers

runswithsizzers Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Which explains why I don't watch YouTube unless I absolutely must (like when I need to overhaul the carburetor on my chainsaw.) I hate advertising, but in many cases the YouTube "content" is actually worse than the advertising.

Someone once said if you are getting it for free, you are not the customer - you are the product being sold (to the advertisers).

visorvet likes this.
  18. AndresC

AndresC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I don´t get why people get so worked up over youtubers. I have watched several of his videos and enjoy some of them, lately they are usually very enthusiastic about Fujifilm, praising the xt3 (as most other youtubers). The everyone hates Fujifilm just comes from his limited data set experiment in which he compares the results from unnamed images (most people selected the one taken with the xt3 as their favorite) to the results from the same iamges now named (all of a sudden the same image when attached to the fujifilm named became the least liked). As for the fujifilm users being the meanest, some of the comments in this thread are proving his point, however i´m sure that he bases this opinion on the comments on his videos, which let´s face it, the internet is full of keyboard warriors unfiltered by the anonimity being behind a computer provides. Camera brands elicit loyalty for some reason (I know i´m guilty in my love for fujifilm) and some folks get all too worked up sometiems, I have no experience with other photography forums but agree that this is one of the most civil and helpful forum´s around in general and it´s great to be a member.

JimFenner, Jonimages, Jaydot and 2 others like this.
  19. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I don't get why people get worked up over YouTubers either. Tony has said the Fuji cameras are some of his favorites and if they would release more zoom 1.8 zooms it would get more pro attention. He has been rooting for Fuji because he likes the design.

They have opinions and they are also making a living doing what they love. There are times I disagree with Tony and times I agree. That's like everyone in life. Some of the comments on here are actually proving Tony's point about Fuji users.

AndresC and cug like this.
  20. Capatan

Capatan Member

-Return to Top-

The 'Fuji' picture was taken with the Nikon Z7 and was quite a different hue to the rest, how much a part that played I don't know, but that picture stood out as different to me viewing the video.