This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

DIY portrait

Discussion in 'Portraits, People, & Pets' started by JRick, Apr 14, 2018.

1. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

was trying to make an outdoor photo look like a studio shot using one of those foldable beach pads as a backdrop. i over exposed a bit, nuked her with the speedlight, and it looked pretty cool to me :)

DSC_7848.jpg

2. c0ldc0ne

c0ldc0ne Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Was this shot at close range with a wide angle lens?

3. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

re : "Was this shot at close range with a wide angle lens?"

no, it wasn't. if i may, why did you ask ?

4. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Which lens did you use?

There are aspects of the image which make it appear as though there is subtle distortion at play...

5. c0ldc0ne

c0ldc0ne Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That is also something I noticed and why I asked.

6. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

i was posting it simply as a DIY background example, but maybe i should have posted it in the critique section ?

- anyway, please discuss it any way you like. if you see distortion please xpand on why you thought it was shot with a wide angle lens, what you see, where, or if the background looks sucky, ...... or whatever :)

7. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm not sure it is, strictly speaking, a critique, since I don't think you did anything wrong or that there is anything wrong with the image to criticize. It is just that the image is a bit of a visual puzzle because it doesn't read as expected.

I mostly photograph people, so I had some speculations about why this might be. I asked about the lens hoping to draw out some information. I certainly didn't mean any offense by asking the question.

I apologize for any offense given.

Brian1940 and c0ldc0ne like this.
  8. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

F2Bethere : for me "critique" just means mutually sharing opinions and/or suggestions. for me, it rarely has to do with something being right or wrong. i guess posting under the 'people/portrait/pet' section was misleading. too many categories on this forum...most overlap, but i didn't set it up that way :)

re : " I certainly didn't mean any offense by asking the question. I apologize for any offense given."
    - absolutely no apologies needed.......no offense felt on this end :)

i'll get back to you with more info later, if you're interested, but my intention was to show more of the "DIY" background aspect of the image rather than the portrait aspect .... since i'm assuming you're not referring to the proportion of the specular highlights and already knew it was a beach pad //lol//
    - as you get to know me more, you'll see i rarely use this forum as a gallery. for me, it's more like a way to start a discussion or try and give an example of something