This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Different SD card speeds for X-T2 configured for backup

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by Zurubi, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Zurubi

Zurubi Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I don't know if anyone has experimented with this. I never used 2 SD cards on the X-T2 before but Amazon had some cheap Sandisk cards (Ultra, UHS-I, 80MB/s) so I decided to give this a try, having my very fast Sandisk SD (extreme pro) card on slot 1 and this slower one on slot 2.

These 2 cards have roughly the same read speed but the write speed differs quite a bit. My tests say 76MB/s on the Extreme Pro and 26 MB/s on the cheaper ones (Ultra). I can actually tell the difference if I shoot on CH and then time the time it takes to write to the card, that's roughly a factor of 3 like my test.

I don't shoot video so I'm not interested in that. And very rarely I shoot in burst mode. Since my primary use for the extra card is to have the in camera backup (going to Iceland so I'm getting nervous about failures), does anyone see any disadvantage in having the 2 cards like this, super-fast on slot 1 and not so fast on slot 2?

thanks.

2. ryanlio

ryanlio Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm interested to know this as well.
    Whether the limitation is on the slowest component which is the write to a slow card in backup setting. Or whether the buffer can write to the first card, and independently write to the second SD card without causing the camera to slow down.

3. Asmguy

Asmguy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

deleted by poster couldn't find the evidence of statement.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  4. Solo with others

Solo with others Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I do this. I have a super fast 64G in slot one for RAW files and a slower 32G in slot 2 to catch jpegs. Seems to work very well with no noticeable slowness.

5. NYRich

NYRich Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have my X-Pro2 set up this way. Slot 1 is a 64gb SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHSII 300mb/260mb. Slot 2 is a 32gb SanDisk SD 95mb. I normally send the RAW files to slot 1 and jpegs to slot 2 and have no complaints about write speed. I don't shoot video so I can't speak to that function.

6. elisha.jesudason

elisha.jesudason Member

-Return to Top-

Video in 4k is only 100Mbps which is about 12.5MBps so almost any card can handle it.

7. Dan Bailey

Dan Bailey Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think you should be fine, especially if you're not shooting video or capturing bursts at high frame rates. I've used those SanDisk 80MB/s card, they work great!