This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Differences in the JPEG look of different Fuji sensor generations

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by AMSOS, Nov 7, 2018.

1. AMSOS

AMSOS Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've heard a lot about differences in sensor generations - from XE-1, to XE-2, through X-E3, and now X-T3.

Obviously RAWs were never an issue, but the JPEGs were quite different with a lot of people attesting to the unique look of the first generation.

Can someone point me to a link that discusses these differences in the "look" across different sensor generations in some detail?

I am e.g. interested in what happened to the "waxy look" of portraits that first came up with the X-E2 generation. How bad is the "waxy look" issue with the X-E3 generation? Is it the same with the latest sensor on the X-T3?

There was also some talk of the X-E3 generation sensor not being ISO invariant. But I don't know much about that and how that effects the quality of JPEGs.

I would appreciate if you point to links, or talk about differences in the look of JPEGs and portraits between these different generations.

Thanks!

2. ysarex

ysarex Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Can't help with the JPEG question as I have no use for them but I can answer the ISO invariant question. Fuji moved to the new Sony dual impedance sensors with the X-Trans III sensor. The sensor in the X-T3 is likewise dual impedance. Look at this graph for the X-E3:
    Please login or register to view links

A flat line would indicate ISO invariance. What you basically have is two flat lines. There's a dog leg in the graph between ISO 640 and 800. At ISO 800 the switch occurs to the 2nd impedance channel. So technically you do not have ISO invariance if you cross over the dog leg and you do have ISO invariance if you stay to either side of it. One way of thinking about it is you have two different ISO invariant sensors -- one for low ISO values and a 2nd for high ISO values.

ISO invariance isn't very meaningful to camera JPEGs. If you want a camera JPEG then you have to set an ISO that will allow the camera to process whatever exposure you set so that you'll get an average brightness JPEG. Shooting JPEGs pretty much precludes taking advantage of ISO invariance.

Brian Kimball likes this.