This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Dewdrops can make anything pretty

Discussion in 'Macro' started by Bandje, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Bandje

Bandje Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A while ago I puchased a secondhand Panagor 90 mm f/2.8, as I wanted a true 1:1 macro lens with a bit longer reach than my Vivitar 55/2.8 Komine. As it was voor OM and I didn't have an adapter for it yet (and the one I ordered had to come from China, apparently), it lay waiting on the shelf for quite some time before I got around to do some test with it. Now, however, I have..

I took it out on a few sunrise shoots, and below are a few of the results that I like. I used focus stacking in both cases, as I was surprised at how small depth of field was at 1:1 even at smaller apertures (mind you, this was the first time I really used a true macro lens, the closest I ever used before was the 60mm). A few notes to myself: get an even better tripod, and maybe try to invest in a macro rail slider if I am planning to do this more often.

Hope you like my first attempt, maybe more in future ;-)

[​IMG]
    Fujifilm XT2 and Panagor 90 mm f/2.8, focus stack of 6 images at f/8.

[​IMG]
    Fujifilm XT2 and Panagor 90 mm f/2.8, focus stack of 8 images at f/8.

Knapdale, SharonR, Per and 18 others like this.
  2. BreylPhoto

BreylPhoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Lovely shots, beautiful colours !
    The reflected sky with contrails and all in water droplets simply amazing.

Cheers,

Robin

P.S.:
    If you don't mind a further comment:
    I find the branding and logo drawing my eye constantly away from the main image... particularly in the 2nd shot. But that's just me.

LionSpeed likes this.
  3. kevistopheles

kevistopheles Premium Member

-Return to Top-

4. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Good work as usual. I always find your posts to be informative and when photos are included, well done. Happy shooting.

5. Bandje

Bandje Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the complement, and the tip. I'll see what I can do about the logo!

Thank you!

6. Globares

Globares Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The first image is beautiful. And quite inspiring. A long time ago I decided I don't want to stack hundreds of images to get a sharp insect, but if six frames can make a difference... Thanks for sharing.

7. Bandje

Bandje Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks! To be honest, I would prefer it if the stacking wouldn't be necessary. Unfortunately, in the first image, the large droplet and the two tiny droplets on the right hand side were impossible to get into focus at the same time, without possible (I didn't try) stopping back to f/22. As my X-T2 sensor in in need of a cleaning, that didn't seem like a great idea ;-). Besides, I'm always afraid to loose sharpness due to diffraction when stopping back over f/11.