This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Depth of Field Scale

Discussion in 'GFX 50S' started by philc, Dec 2, 2017.

1. philc

philc Active Member

-Return to Top-

Just wondering - does anyone use the GFX's digital depth of field scale for their landscapes and if so, how well is it working for you? Does it replace working out the hyper-focal focus distance and then manually focusing to that distance? Be good if it did

Phil

2. deeel

deeel Member

-Return to Top-

Phil

I have not tested the DOF scale but do use it from time to time as a check against what I'm seeing in either the EVF or LCD when I focus manually. Unfortunately the 63mm I rented had no index on the barrel and neither does the 45mm I am renting (due here Wednesday). As a side note, I was surprised that LensRentals.com had a 45 available when B&H/Adorama doesn't. Fotocare (NYC) has one for sale per the website but not one to rent. Henry's of Canada shows a 45 available.
    Back to DOF. Have used the GFX for about 2 months and 80% of my shots have been at f11 or f16, giving me the DOF I'm happy with. Occasionally, though, I have a need for some sort of hyperfocal "help" and last night I started researching printable tables that I can either tape to the camera or attach to the tripod. If I put it in the camera bag I will probably wander off without it because the bag stays in the car.

My focusing "technique" is to first use AF on an area or feature and then switch to MF w/red peaking to fine tune. I live in Connecticut where we don't have exactly wide open spaces, I photograph a lot of the built-up/altered landscape, I find myself setting up sometimes 100s of yards from the subject because I can't get any closer and DOF at f16 works fine. Don't know how much help this has been.

Do you use or know of a hyperfocal distance table you can recommend?

Deeel

3. philc

philc Active Member

-Return to Top-

When I use Hyper-focal, I use an iPhone app which I found is excellent - OptimumCS-Pro

What I would rather do, is focus using the EVF/LCD digital Depth of Field Scale - which makes life much smoother (beats having to get the phone out of the pocket; especially if it is raining). Just wondering how good/accurate the scale is and if it should be set to Digital or Film (can't recall the actual settings).

Hoped someone had already tested/proved if it worked? Its on my list to test when I am in a location with some near to far subject matter, but the last couple of times I have forgot to test and just got on with shooting :)

Phil

4. deeel

deeel Member

-Return to Top-

Set to Film if you are going to print. Digital for web.

5. philc

philc Active Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for that, but still wondering how accurate it is when compared with using manual focusing to a hyper-focal point? The old DoF scales on prime lenses were always very inaccurate and not worth using - so is the digital scale any better and does anyone actually use this for their landscape photography?