This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Contest Voting!

Discussion in 'Photo Challenges and Assignments' started by robert, May 8, 2018.

1. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

That's why we broke them up into groups. Make a note of which ones you've already visited, and spread out the visits over a few days.

Thinking of having the voting period go through the end of the month.

Keep in mind, the votes that are now being tallied will select the images which will be in the run-off. Final voting won't require viewing nearly as many images!

2. runswithsizzers

runswithsizzers Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I should probably just walk away, but ...

In any endeavor to which there is an 'artistic' component (photography, music, literature - even practical arts like food and architecture), there are always critics and experts. Some people may have been born with a higher degree of sensitivity to the esthetic, or maybe they were raised that way. And combined with years of study, total immersion in their chosen subject, they are able to perceive and understand the arts in ways most of us are not. I would be very surprised if a list of the top-10 paintings, or top-10 novels, chosen by a panel of critics and experts would include the same selections as a top-10 list chosen by a popular vote of the people. Universities offer courses in art appreciation because we were not born knowing this stuff. Our critical facilities must be developed.

There is a saying "I may not know much about art, but I know what I like." The definition of "photographic merit" is going to depend on whether you are asking someone who knows a lot about art, or someone who doesn't. Even when we know art, we may not like it. What did you watch on TV last night - a carefully selected, critically aclaimed art film by a brilliant director - or a trashy sit-com?

So I could posit that if many people like a photograph, there is something inherently likeable about it - but chances are, a panel of critics and experts would have chosen something else as having more photographic merit. I don't want to sound like too much of an elitist here, because society periodically rounds up all the elites and kills them.:eek:

There is certainly nothing wrong with simply liking something for what it is. My wife is a culinary expert, but at home we often eat frozen pizza just like everybody else (we do thaw and cook them first). And we eat them while watching a trashy sit-com, too! I've posted enough cat and flower photos here to put a university photography professor into a diabetic coma, so I'm not pointing fingers.

For the purposes of the forum, trying to establish a panel of experts and vetting their qualifications would be a ridiculous problem, so a popular vote is the only practical method of choosing winners. I'm just pointing out that it's easy to like sugary, salty snacks, but that doesn't make it haute cuisine.

Sorry about the lecture (please don't kill me), and thanks again to all who participated!

3. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

So glad my competitive spirit is zero, always wondered why anyone would want to make photography a competition.

Winner is never cut and dried as in sport, far too subjective and why does it matter if you are judged to have bettered others.

4. docmartin

docmartin New Member

-Return to Top-

Well, most of the members are enthusiastic. But besides all that inspiring photographies the sense behind it all is: prizes (to say "give aways") and new members...
    So openly multiple pronounced.

Am I a rogue thinking evil of this...

Oh god, my written english without online translater is so...german

5. Toshack10

Toshack10 Member

-Return to Top-

I loved it. Thanks so much to those organising it for pulling it together. Victims of your own success I fear!

As for "judging", I went through a few pages when I first saw the thread and then every day or so went back to the last post I'd seen and looked at/liked those subsequently posted. So I have looked at them all but didn't wait until all entries were in. So i feel very smug

Again, thanks for pulling it together and apologies if you are feeling moaned at: it is the lot of any volunteer

6. dick.klees

dick.klees New Member

-Return to Top-

I am sorry not being able to make a fair judgement. The way all these great pictures are presented in the limitation a forum display makes it impossible for me. I hardly dare to make this comment, since critisism is not accepted. Sorry again.

patio likes this.
  7. robert

-Return to Top-

Clearly a huge number of people were very happy showcasing their work, which is truly what this is all about.

Hopefully those who would rather pick nits about this or that also enjoyed the tremendous variety of fantastic photography on display. :)

Kirstybell and Souvnami like this.
  8. robert

-Return to Top-

Constructive criticism is, of course, welcomed.

The reality is that there are compromises with every system. This isn't complicated and doesn't require so-called 'experts' or 'art critics.'

This is all about the forum members, their photos, and their likes. :)

9. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Well that is all my likes done, again I`d just like to say Thank you all for sharing your fantastic photos you have taken with Fuji cameras.
    Too me, each and every one who put photos in is a winner.

jamie allan likes this.
  10. smcates86

smcates86 Member

-Return to Top-

...absolutely best Blue Ribbon Comment!

arttajart likes this.
  11. arttajart

arttajart Active Member

-Return to Top-

I've had a couple of runs through all of the entries; yes, it is a lengthy process. If it is too lengthy or bothersome, don't worry about it, find something more rewarding to spend time with.
    I participated as a way to share a couple of my Fuji made pictures I thought some might enjoy or find of interest.
    A nice place to see a selection of works we are all proud of and share a common interest in.

jamie allan likes this.
  12. gregoryclements

gregoryclements Member

-Return to Top-

Dear Fuji forum,

Thank you for organising an fantastic competition. I entered this competition as I was excited about the possibility of winning some great prizes and being part of it all. Whilst it is clear that many organisers have worked hard on this competition, it is unacceptable that that a winner has yet to be announced. It is unacceptable that a date to announce the winner has not been set. The competition has basically overwhelmed those who organised it and has fallen flat on its face as a result. This is a great shame as the original intentions of the organisers were most honourable. But it is clear that there is a lot to be learned about running a competition of this ilk. Get it together guys- really unacceptable and very disappointing.
    Greg Clements

13. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

So thankful I have a total lack of competitive spirit, still believe it's the taking part that counts
    Dread to think what it will be like when some of the whingers find out they haven't won

DaveX and jamie allan like this.
  14. robert

-Return to Top-

With nearly 1600 images, 80 pages worth, we must allow plenty of time for members to vote. We sent out a reminder email for voting on May 8th, and separated the images into 8 groups so it is easier to keep track of which images members have viewed.

Bear mind, early entrants to the contest have had more time to be viewed as compared to later entrants, and therefore more time to collect 'likes.'

Allowing sufficient voting time is therefore necessary.

We will be sending out another email soon announcing the vote deadline for the first round, so that forum members who have have not had time to view through all the groups can finish things up.

As outlined in the original contest thread, the initial votes select the images that will be in the runoff.

What is truly overwhelming about this contest is the great talent of our members!

DaveX likes this.
  15. jamie allan

jamie allan Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Greg,
    No offence meant but I think that a sense of perspective (ironic in a photography forum) might be called for. It was a fun competition that attracted an unbelievable number of responses. I think you need to cut the admins some slack.

Kirstybell, runswithsizzers and DaveX like this.
  16. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Well for me imo I think all the staff and Mods have done a fantastic job in getting this up and running, then sorting it out in to the groups must of been a PITA so my hats off to you. I am just glad that I was a part of this and looking at some total fantastic work from each and every member, don`t worry about winning but be proud that you took part in something so big in this forum.

17. patio

patio Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, but it's already been 2 weeks and we only are now getting an update because someone complained. And then there is going to be another vote which could take another 2 weeks. I mean he's not unjustly complaining.

18. robert

-Return to Top-

Um, no. It's been only 8 days since the last email blast, and 5 since the last post in this thread.

As I said earlier, there is another email scheduled, and not because someone complained.

Sorry. We are going to let the members have sufficient time to go through all the entries. If this is a problem for some people, so be it.

We could have chosen judges to pick the winners, and then some people would have complained about that....

jamie allan likes this.
  19. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Even if it takes a couple of months that`s fine, it`s not as though the end of the world is soon. All those groups have to be scrolled through so members can look and then click the Like. It has been great for the forum BUT it has also been FUN.

20. Souvnami

Souvnami Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

All I have to say is thank you all for taking the time to organize this and even go the extra mile to reach out to companies for prizes. I could care less whether I win something or not. It's just a fun way to see others work and have yours be seen. I don't understand how people can get to butt-hurt over something that cost them literally nothing. Also, regarding people complaining about it "Taking too much of their precious time" to scroll through and vote on images, maybe you shouldn't have posted anything. It would have more than likely been a few less shitty photos for people to weed through and not waste their "precious time" on. Get over yourselves. Scroll through, then when something catches your eye just stop, check it out, click like, and move on. It's simple, its fun, and its costing you absolutely nothing. Keep on keeping on!