This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Canon vs. Fuji Colors: A test

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by digitalpatriot, Nov 8, 2018.

1. digitalpatriot

digitalpatriot Member

-Return to Top-

Hey guys, long time Canon shooter, and Fuji shooter for past 5 years or so. I shoot both systems because I like Canon for landscape color. I use it with a launch day Rokinon 12mm 2.0 (before it got hyped up) and get fantastic landscape results from a stealthy package. Anyway I love my two system setup cause I prefer Fuji for people and street. But I would like to use the overall power of the Fuji sensor (DR, noise) for landscapes. Anyway just a quick and dirty test I did using both systems to shoot a sunset and see how both systems handle color =) Not scientific at all, but just to reflect my real world workflow of shooting in raw and putting into lightroom. How about you? Do any of you use another system along side your system?

Please login or register to view links

2. LionSpeed

LionSpeed Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm still using Canon 1DX and 7D-II (pair with 180mm Macro & 100-400 MK II), along with Nikon FF & some Leica.
    Fuji is mostly dedicated for our light travel vacation/short trips.
    When I shoot nature/wild life, I would prefer Canon over Nikon/Fuji.
    That said, I'm trying to use more Fuji now. We'll see.

All systems for me have pros & cons.
    Canon does have a warmer tone (which I love) vs Fuji more green.
    None are perfect. Fuji does take less post processing so I guess that's a plus.

3. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

As far as Fuji RAWs are concerned, I did not liked results, colors from LR. Therefore I've ditched LR for Capture One Pro, using linear response. Difference is like day & night. Canon files I find boring in landscape.

hobbyhorse and F2Bthere like this.
  4. Tilphot

Tilphot Premium Member

-Return to Top-

“Straight RAW” means “Adobe Standard Profile”? I bet you could have gotten much nicer results with the Fuji-specific film simulations in Lightroom. Have you tried them?

Irene McC and kiwitracks like this.
  5. kiwitracks

kiwitracks Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My thoughts exactly. The adobe standard profile in lightroom is definitely far from ideal for Fuji. But that's why there are Fuji's film simulations...

6. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I wasn't using the Rokinon 12/2.0 before it was cool, but I was using Capture One before it was cool ;) and have to agree with @YogiMik!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  7. bobbyzfx

bobbyzfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I haven't tried C1 yet but I don't see any problems with Fuji colors or Canon. My files look pretty much similar. And I don't do much pp. I shoot XT1 and GFX.

8. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes. I have been a loyal Nikon shooter since the film days in the 80s and currently still shoot my D4, D810, D610 and D500
    as well as the Fuji X-T2 and XT20. There's a place and time for everything.

9. versesinanelegiacmetre

versesinanelegiacmetre Member

-Return to Top-

With LR or Capture1, or with any other photo software for that matter, you can change the appearance of an image, including its colour, to anything you want.

YogiMik likes this.
  10. Wallace

Wallace Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Have a look at this, I watched this video this morning and found it quite interesting.

As a result, I conducted a small test with my X-Pro1 this morning, comparing the auto white balance against a custom white balance.

The two pictures are JPGs straight out of the camera, the AWB (001) has a blue cast and the custom version (003) has warmer tones.

However, the difference almost disappears when the raw files have a colour profile applied.

, Tyneside 001.JPG

, Tyneside 003.JPG

11. hobbyhorse

hobbyhorse Member

-Return to Top-

What white balance settings were used on the two cameras or did you match the two in post? How about camera profiles? Without these two bits of information the test means very little to me at least.

12. digitalpatriot

digitalpatriot Member

-Return to Top-

auto white balance of course. this was just to show a baseline between both systems and how i would edit them in my particular workflow. everything is default, nothing is hipsterized or customized. just raw pics loaded into lightroom. in camera profiles are default whatever came with both cameras.

it's not a knock on either system but just to show how each system is designed to interpret colors

13. ysarex

ysarex Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You should try comparing Canon and Fuji colors too instead of Adobe's colors for Canon compared with Adobe's colors for Fuji.