This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Bluebells Illusion (1)

Discussion in 'General' started by G.K.Jnr., May 15, 2018.

1. G.K.Jnr.

G.K.Jnr. Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thought I'd try something a little different form the normal. Just a simple snap taken at Kent UK of some Bluebells deliberately taken out of focus to try and create an illusion.
    I'm also working on a personal project called Illusions and this will be one of the shots included.

X-T1, 60mm F2.4 Lens, 1/450th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Tripod.
    Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr

Thank you for looking.,

George.

Ron Stewart likes this.
  2. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

i'm interested in your illusions project. could you elaborate some more ?
    - will all the shots use this technique ?
    - when i see the word 'illusion' it evokes "seeing something that is not really there" or "deceiving" the eyes ... as in seeing movement when there is no movement, or the brain being tricked and interpreting an image differently from the way it is in the real world, etc etc

in this shot, the viewer has a pretty good idea these are flowers since the stems are there to see also. the brain interpolates, connects the dots, and sees "OOF flowers", and the illusion is minimized. if you wanted to exaggerate the illusions you could have thrown it OOF even more and maybe lost that 'connection' ??

i'm sure you have a good plan, and that's why i'm interested to hear more.

otoh, our brain tells our eyes to find the relevant subject in an image and for the most part ignore that which is out of focus. it's the whole purpose of designing bokeh into a portrait lens, as opposed to showing OOF areas due to lens compression.
    - your project seems to be approaching this in the opposite direction.....if that makes sense......yes/no ??

of course you could just shake the camera while choosing a long SS and approach the same effect......are you considering using that technique too ?
    - not that it matters, but last christmas season the photo club i work with were shooting a lot of the Xmas lights this way. they actually looked pretty crappy unless you enjoy looking at pics of multi-colored blobs of lights //lol//

but sounds like a fun challenging project :
    "how to make out of focus shots tell a story of some sort and not just look like a focussing screw up"

if you have the time keep us posted
    TIA rick

3. Mervington

Mervington Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Perhaps it should have said 'delusion'?

4. G.K.Jnr.

G.K.Jnr. Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you kindly Sir, I sure do appreciate you takin' the time to reply.

"There is no elaborating to do with this project, its purely something that I'm just messing about with and giving various things a try"

George.