This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Are old adapted lens sharp with fuji sensors

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by Iancass, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Iancass

Iancass New Member

-Return to Top-

I am a newbie with regards to adapted lenses world and was wondering if the images are going to be slightly soft compared to newer lens made today?? I am sure they are!! but to what extent? I would like a decent 50mm+ lens but not sure its going to get the best out of my modern 24 mp sensors. Or is it more about getting that vintage look? TIA

2. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you like Fuji lens output and are driven to "squeeze the best out of your Fuji sensor" (whatever that means) , you will be very hard pressed to find a vintage lens that outguns Fuji at it's own (modern) game.
    There are other threads and comments (by myself and lots of others) on this and similar questions down in this sub-forum.

3. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

50mm lenses are usually excellent, going back decades, from almost any brand. But the performance will depend on the individual lens, resolution, contrast, flare control will all vary.

It's really up to the viewer. Some people prefer a more vintage look with older coatings and lower resolution and contrast, some people prefer biting sharp resolution and high contrast...luckily there are a zillion options at every price level. :)

leoda1945 likes this.
  4. Finder

Finder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

From a 90mm Minolta Rokkor f/4 on an X Pro2.

This is cropped from the sensor.

[​IMG]

This is just a 1:1 crop:

[​IMG]

YogiMik likes this.
  5. cbass

cbass Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Depends on the lens. I have some adapted lenses that are as sharp as any Fuji glass I have. Others that are soft and lower contrast.

6. cpu8088

cpu8088 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

taken today using x-e1 with topcor re gn 50mm f1.8

it is not sharp as the fujinon 18-55 zoom but the dreamy bokeh and colour are superb

untitled-6786.jpg

7. cpu8088

-Return to Top-

same x-e1 with topcor re gn 50mm f1.8

cropped heavily

untitled-6758.jpg

8. cpu8088

-Return to Top-

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  9. Alex Cremers

Alex Cremers Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A lot of Nikon glass is as sharp then as it is today.

10. kenbennett

kenbennett Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A lot also depends on your aperture. My old Canon FD-SSC lenses are fine stopped down, but the 50mm at f/1.4 or f/2 is just awful compared to the Fuji 50mm f/2. At f/4 it's very crisp.

11. Sarawak

Sarawak Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I use a Helios 44-2 as a direct substitute for the 56mm. Has bokeh to die for and is sharp all through.
    I also use a Tamron Adaptall 90 mm in place of the 80mm macro.

Both lenses are as sharp as need be and are on K&F Concept adaptors.

In neither case could I justify the cost of the genuine Fuji lenses when considering the use they would get. The cost of these - approx £150 for both - suited my pocket and I have not regretted it.

Manual focus of course but I can live with that.

12. MontyBigglesworth

MontyBigglesworth Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I had a 50mm Rokkor f1.4 and that was lethally sharp and took amazing pictures even wide open, I'd say it was comparable to my XF56.

I sold it for the XF56 1.2 because I needed auto-focus, I often shooting moving subjects and I don't have time to manually focus... yes, and I am getting lazy ;)

Another advantage of a modern Fuji vs Manual lens is when you find you need a 3rd party to take a photo of you, for example on holiday.

When I had the Rokkor I would look for people who had a decent looking camera hoping they'd have a clue about photography - now I know that most people with a huge Canikon dangling round their necks don't have a clue...

That said the Rokkor was a pleasure to use in manual mode when I had time on my hands, if I had infinite funds I'd buy another.

13. Forum GAS

Forum GAS Member

-Return to Top-

This is something only you can answer. What may be soft to one person is totally acceptable to another. It also depends on your experience with other lenses. How do you know the difference between fine food and so-so food if you've only eaten in a greasy spoon? You may also like a softer look of old film photographs. I also find it depends on what subjects you tend to shoot. If you shoot subjects with a lot of fine detail, it may make a difference. For example, if you want to see the fine details of a bird's feathering, you probably will want a modern lens. But, if you shoot architectural photography it may not make a lot of difference. I'm not sure, but I think focal length can make a difference also. I suspect the telephoto lenses are more apt to show the differences in lenses. I think the second comment by leoda1945 is quite appropriate.

There is also an ease of use aspect to this question. For the utmost sharpness, I find I have to open up the lens to its widest aperture and then focus. Then, move the aperture to the value I want. To achieve exact focus can be tricky. You have to magnify the view finder first. Then, you have to use your preferred way of judging exact focus. I preferred the standard method of visually identifying exact focus over the focus peak highlight method. Even then, I found I had to take a few shots slightly varying the focus point to see which was best. Of course, this all pertains to a photograph where you need a specific spot in sharpest focus. When you zoom into a picture, sometimes you see how soft it really is. Of course, this may not matter depending on what you are shooting and what you do with your pictures.

Personally, I bit the bullet and gave up on old lenses.

cpu8088 likes this.
  14. RnR

RnR Member

-Return to Top-

Also don't forget that you can use a focal reducer to increase the MTF when using full frame lenses on the Fuji.

15. Cary Lee

Cary Lee Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Its not about sharpness when using adapted lenses but how the image is rendered by the adapted lens that modern lenses can't create is what makes adapted lenses appealing.