This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Anyone retain a DSLR , post Fuji ?

Discussion in 'Other Cameras' started by dee Dowling, Jul 10, 2018.

1. dee Dowling

dee Dowling Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have a pair of Leica Digilux 3 / Panasonic L1 DSLRs , but they are more a nostalgia trip .
    Following the amazing £318 find of a new X-Pro1 and 27mm , which I had not imagined repeatable , I bought an Ex-Dem Pentax K-S1 with additional 35mm to use for old Pentax lenses .
    I did not anticipate affording another lens than the 27mm
    At the time , i was uncertain about going with an EVF and the clarity of that 100% pentaprism compared to an old Sony A290 , retained for it's CCD colours and old favourite Minolta 35-80 , blew me away [ i had some Pentax lenses of course ]
    Now , with the bargain X-T1 18-55 , it seems a bit redundant ... until a viciously bright day when it was reinstated .

Have you mostly capitulated to mirrorless ? I am uncertain , despite the incredible confidence and , well , comfort that my Fujis bring to me .

2. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have not capitulated to Mirrorless, or to digital photography for that matter. I do think mirrorless cameras are the most versatile and the easiest to work with for many kinds of photography, but they still have limitations.
    I have been shooting Fuji-X cameras for years now, but I do also use a Pentax K5iis DSLR on a regular basis for all sorts of specific tasks. It is not as easy to work with as the Fuji X cameras, but it has advantages for some purposes, and I just like it. Keep in mind that I also shoot 40 or so film cameras covering most of the common types, so I am not someone who needs to work with matching cameras. I value variety much more highly than I value convenience. I do love my few Fuji-X lenses, but I also dislike the fact that they can only be used on my FX cameras. I tend to prefer buying adapted manual focus lenses which can be used on a range of cameras. If I had a limitless supply of funds things might be different, but a lot of my gear is chosen for the variety it provides, or for versatility.

3. vague_logic

vague_logic Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Apart from keeping a few lenses and some film cameras, I moved over completely. For my photography this works. If I was taking more "action" shots I think I would have kept a DSLR though, the recent top of the range X-trans cameras are as good as many older non-pro DSLRs for focus speed anyway. The other factor that is important to me is to be completely familiar with how to operate a camera for my needs. Having a number of diverse systems can dilute that depth of understanding.

bobjar likes this.
  4. The Judge

The Judge Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I still use manual-everything film SLRs (135 and 120) because using the viewfinders are more pleasurable than any DSLR, or any SLR with autofocus.

PhilGreen likes this.
  5. bobjar

bobjar Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I love the form-factor of the X-Pro series. I have owned and sold an X-T1 (not nearly as close to the X-Pro2 as I'd hoped in ergonomics) and recently twisted and turned considering an X-H1. I'd hope to match current DSLR's in AF performance but after way too many YouTube vids and reviews decided that, AF acquisition, was not going to happen. So rather than buy an uber-X-T2 (the X-H1) at additional cost (and owning no Fuji zooms) with nothing gained above what my X-Pro2 provides aside from better AF (I have no interest in video), I bought a D500 (with inventory of zooms on hand), which for me is a superb machine.

Today, we returned from a family trip and I will cull through images using the X-Pro2 - the Fuji glass is superb, but I already sense a level of disappointment in missed-focus images (not what the D500 would have given me but that was my desicion) - too high; very simply there is no comparison to the D500 but I took the Fuji for light kit and I'd not used it recently. Frankly, in my hand the D500 w 35mm/1.8 feels about the same as the X-Pro2 w 23mm/1.4. Some time ago I checked weights of Fuji versus comparable focal length Tamron and Nikon zooms concluding regardless of mark, I'd get tired holding a zoom and VR or other support is needed.

I get the sense most professional Fuji 'togs are already back in the DSLR form-factor camp with X-T2/-H1/GFX kits with really expensive, heavy, and high quality Fuji zooms. I think Adam Bonn touched upon this in a recent blog re his thoughts for an X-Pro3 which if ever released will likely be a small niche market item for those (including myself) who prefer retaining the OVF/EVF and prime lenses. If the X-Pro3 morphs into another platform for unnecessary gadgetry that will be sad, my opinion.

I have strayed from the initial question re "capitulation" to mirrorless - the US definition, as suggested by Google is "the action of surrendering or ceasing to resist an opponent or demand." In that regard I have, but only for the X-Pro2 form-factor using prime or adapted lenses (somehow mounting a zoom on an X-Pro2 seems an obscene act to me but I know and understand this is a common configuration).

Bottomline - each of us makes decisions based upon a rational comparison (well maybe not in buying photo kit :) ) of costs versus benefits. To each their own, beauty in the eye of the beholder, etc. etc. etc. There is no single solution that totally dominates the other options.

6. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I still own and use a Nikon DSLR.

7. Pobert58

Pobert58 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

They are tools. On a personal level I own and use an XT1, XT2 and XH1. The 80mm macro is magic with the latter. But I work in agriculture in dusty and hostile West Texas, so at work I use an XT2, several different full frame Canon bodies and a Nikon D800. They all get the job done. However, if I had to choose my favorite it would be the XH1 except for when I need all the megapixels of the Canon 5Ds or Nikon D800. The job at hand suggests the tool.

8. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I still own and use what is to me an extensive Nikon system based on a Nikon Df. Every time I use the Nikon Df and work with those files I wonder why I every migrated to Fuji-X. Every time I use Fuji-X, I wonder why I still have the Df. Each system has it's strengths.

For me neither system is compelling enough to make it my only system.

dpm321, jknights and bobjar like this.
  9. rhom

rhom Member

-Return to Top-

Very well said! In my case, a D300 and F4S (film) vs. X-Pro2 and X-T100. I love both systems and generally use the one best for the anticipated photography. But sometimes I will use one or the other just because I feel like it.

bobjar likes this.
  10. (c)ow

(c)ow Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Serious? Are you running a camera museum? ;-)

roalk likes this.
  11. rayvonn

rayvonn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

There's no way I can carry around my D800E with me most of the time, but it is lovely to dig out and use for certain occasions. It's so different to using a Fuji that I'm happy having both.

12. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I still have my Nikon D7000, mainly because I have lenses for it that I haven't for Fuji (and don't use frequently), and trading the lot wouldn't get me half the cost of a 100-400 and a 90mm. The size and weight which are such a bonus with the Fuji aren't so significant when you have an 80-200 2.8 or an 85 1.8 on the camera.

Gerry

bobjar likes this.
  13. Spock66

Spock66 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Never had a DSLR - my photographic journey has been: Manual Focus Film SLR (Minolta X300), AF Film SLR (Minolta Dynax), Film Rangefinder (Leica M), Fuji X-Pro 1, Fuji X-Pro 2.

In terms of technical capability the Fuji X-Pro 2 beats all previous cameras I have owned.

beakhammer and bobjar like this.
  14. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Yes I have an extensive Nikon system and wont be getting rid of it. Rumours of a Nikon mirrorless FX system tempts as well. If or when it arrives that will provide me with some decisions to make but at present I like both my Fuji and Nikon systems.

15. LionSpeed

LionSpeed Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes I still have Canon 1DX, 7D-II, Nikon D610 with a bunch of Canon & Nikon lenses. These beasts are mainly for heavy work projects. All my other Fuji's are strictly for travel & quick trips. That said, I am still using B/W film cameras as well.

16. boulevardier

boulevardier Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I only recently sold my DSLR, so I was running Fuji and Canon side by side for over 4 years. I miss the Canon's form factor, and kept my two favourite lenses just in case, but the 550D was getting long in the tooth. The Panasonic GX80 has filled the point and shoot and video gaps perfectly, and I still shoot plenty of film for pleasure.

The X-Pro1 had lain dormant for a while, but I picked in up two weeks ago and have used it a number of times since. Even bought two new batteries for it as three of my five existing batteries had swelled. I could cover everything I need with the GX80, but while ever the X-Pro1 and X-M1 are working see no point in getting rid of them.

17. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I seem to be studying the history of 20th century photography using the experimental method. Or is it just the "mental method"?

Actually I am not a proper collector; these are all cameras that I use to make photos. More than half were given to me by friends and relatives. I am also building cameras and acquiring components to create a system of interchangeable parts to assemble lightweight specialized medium and large format cameras.

roalk and (c)ow like this.
  18. Gordo

Gordo Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, Pentax K-1 and a handful of lenses.

19. (c)ow

(c)ow Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That’s awesome. And I thought I have a lot cameras: 4 digital cams, two 6x6, one 6x9, two 35 mm SLRs, two 35 mm range finder cams. Far away from being a collector, all in use l... Still I wish I had a Hassi...

beakhammer likes this.
  20. dee Dowling

dee Dowling Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I note somewhere about a 'rational comparison' .
    [Note , however , that I am a snap shooter with no pretentions] .
    it seems that I missed that step .
    I leapt at the X-pro1 because it was new to me , was more compact than my ageing budget , DSLRs , was a steal @ £318 with 27mm , seemed perfect , if scary , for a special holiday .
    I was advised my Adam Bonn just to take a chance .
    Once bitten , opportunities for a vastly reduced X-M1 and X-t1 with the reverent zooms were simply icing on the cake .
    No less than 10 digital cameras , but that's 'cos they were bought cheap and have no resale value , except for the M8 of course !! [long story ]
    I have a few film cameras , but mostly USSR items and my Minolta SRTs / SR1s / SR7s .
    I don't do film with the demise of prepaid reversal .
    dee