This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Any other Leica people here?

Discussion in 'Other Cameras' started by Retroman1969, Sep 7, 2018.

1. liggy

liggy GASaholic Camera Fondler

-Return to Top-

Glad to see folks enjoying the gear as intended - Leica or otherwise. I suppose if I were a raw shooter I’d give the M system a harder look but that isn’t going to happen for a while.

2. Tom Geist

Tom Geist Member

-Return to Top-

Yeah, well...you should know not to take on Fuji people. If you do, make sure they can’t find out where you live.

3. Bud James

Bud James Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Topsy.

We chatted back and forth before in other posts. It was great to see that you finally ditched your Billingham bag full of XPro1s for a bag full of older Leicas.

I was wondering if you carry all three bodies with you when you are out shooting. If so that must be very heavy on your shoulder. Are you still using the Billingham Hadley Pro bag?

I purchased my first Leica in Dec 2017, the M10. Since then, I purchased a second M10 and a number of Leica lenses. I'm very happy with the image quality and the shooting experience of a true rangefinder camera. Learning how to zone focus again has been challenging, but I slowly getting higher number of keepers with each outing.

Capture One Pro remains my RAW processor and DAM application of choice. I was wondering what software you are using to process your Leica images?

Regards,
    Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at Please login or register to view links or on Instagram at Please login or register to view links.

4. Topsy

Topsy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Bud,

I do carry all 3 bodies unless I am out for a ride on my motorcycle in which case I just take 1 body with the 35mm on it in a small Domke pouch that fits on my belt. It really depends what I am out for as to what bag I carry. General day use I use a LowePro Sport 200 AW backpack that carries the Leica stuff and I can have my Laptop notebook etc as well as a lightweight waterproof. If I am photo specific but need my Laptop as well I will use the Billingham but if I don't need the Laptop I take my stuff in a Domke F5 which fits into my motorcycle tank bag for longer trips and also fits in the top of my F Stop Ajna when we go in the car for Photo Holiday trips etc with my GFX kit.

I don't use Aperture Priority for exposure I prefer to use manual same as with focusing I don't use Zone focusing I prefer to focus manually as well.

I use Lightroom 6 for my RAW processing, I find the files need hardly any work, if I need to clean up a shot I use Photoshop Elements 15 which is plenty powerful enough for me.

Overall I find the M9s easy to work with both in use and for PP, I have to say I am a happy shooter these days. Can't see me going for M10 unless my 9s die. I do sometimes wish I could have Live View though for those filter moments but I can live without it.

TBH the Leicas are my general/travel photography cameras which I can press into Landscape if I am travelling light but my GFX is the master for Landscapes.

5. rayvonn

rayvonn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

In regards to PP, there’s almost nothing to be done with the M9 files. As a newcomer used to PS/ Iridient, etc that’s quite notable.

6. Bud James

Bud James Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've been eyeing up the GFX, but have chosen to wait for the next generation. I went for the Leicas instead.

I just ordered the new Mavic 2 Pro with Hasselblad 20mp camera as I want to get into some aerial photography. I plan on taking the drone with me to New Zealand later this year along with my Leica kit.

Do you have a website for your images or a social media presence? I'd like to check but your work.

Regards,
    Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at Please login or register to view links or on Instagram at Please login or register to view links.

7. Retroman1969

Retroman1969 Active Member

-Return to Top-

Lively discussion that has been fun to follow! :)
    I've been taking the M9 to work with me and getting it out as much as I can. I'm slowly getting more proficient with it and learning it does have legs and is adaptable even in photographic conditions for which it isn't inherently ideal.
    I almost have to treat it like the old 60s-70s era film cameras (the rangefinders in particular) where I pick a neutral spot away from strong light sources to meter off of, lock it in, then recompose the shot, and BAM! Excellent exposures with good white balance.
    It's tricky, but I'm getting the hang of it, and getting a nostalgic trip at the same time. ;)
    It also has more of a tendency to play nice with my big bounce flash gun this way too.

davids likes this.
  8. Topsy

Topsy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm on Instagram for my everyday stuff but my landscapes are in 500PX addresses in my signature. I don't put stuff in 500PX unless I am super pleased with them but I am happy to put my average stuff on to Instagram as I see this more of a social medid platform. I did toy with the idea of a website but haven't got round to it yet.

9. Topsy

Topsy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think you've captured the experience bang on there, 60s - 70s film like. I favour manual exposure, checking the scene and deciding where I want to place the emphasis. I find the M9 files very robust for Lightroom to recover detail. I use the old slide film adage, look after the highlights and let the shadows take care of themselves but there are times when letting the highlights burn out a bit is necessary. You certainly need to think more about your exposures with Center Weight Metering.

Retroman1969 likes this.
  10. Aphotographer

Aphotographer Premium Member

Logtown, CA (Northern Foothills of the Sierras

-Return to Top-

Well there is the GFX of course. I was about to buy one when I found I needed all at one time glasses, hearing aids and a tooth extracted and replaced.