This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Ai format file

Discussion in 'Post Processing/Software Forum' started by pope02, Mar 13, 2018.

1. pope02

pope02 New Member

-Return to Top-

I was given a .ai format file to do a simple change. But Adobe Illustrator won't let me save to .ai

After saving the file this error message occurred:

When spot colours are used with transparency, changing them to process colours outsitde of Illustrator can generate unexpected results.

Also

An Unknown error has occured

These warnings also showed.

"Only fonts with permission bits will be embedded." "The Document Raster Effects is 72ppi or less."

2. Ben Kennedy

Ben Kennedy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Spot colours are for printing - you can convert them all to process colours (CMYK)

Font error is because TrueType fonts that aren't embedded - I believe
    You can simply outline the fonts

pope02 likes this.
  3. Longhiker

Longhiker Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What change were you making? You could also try saving as an eps file.
    Fonts have often worked oddly in some cases and I have not found a consistent reason. Doesn't mean there isn't one; there has to be. The old font wars caused problems for many of us. I've had a program say I didn't have permission to use a font that I had actually created and permissions allowed it to be used. Thank you Adobe and HP. Ben is right that you can convert fonts to curves and then they're just an object. Save an old version of the file so you can easily edit your text though.

Process colors are generally used in the offset printing world. Does this have anything to do with your change? Adobe products give you a lot of flexibility with color.

Be assured, there's always a way.

4. Alantt77

Alantt77 New Member

-Return to Top-

The first means exactly what it states. If you use Spot colors and transparency, on press, the colors can vary and not match the spot color. This isn't an error, but a warning. It's letting you know that colors may change on press. You should be aware of that.
    The second is the most problematic and is a program error. This may be due to a problem with the file, a problem with Illustrator or a problem with your system. Based upon the third item, the first thing I'd try is unchecking "Create PDF Compatibile File" in teh Save Options dialog. Next thing to try is to Save As.. to a different drive if possible. You may also try and copy everything to a new file and then try saving the new file. For more info on how to fix Illustrator error you can find here: Please login or register to view links