This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

A salute for the 18-55

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Lens Forum' started by hectorlektor, Jul 12, 2017.

1. hectorlektor

hectorlektor Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Just got it with one of my X-T20, I thought that I could buy the kit and then sell the kitlens. But exploring a bit with the lens, it's sharp! It's really nice!

This is at 55mm f4, it's really nice and as you zoom out it only gets sharper. I never expected it to be this good! This is going to be my vacation lens as well as sometimes on jobs outside.
    [​IMG]

DaveX, Pedro1948, crashton and 9 others like this.
  2. Pete15

Pete15 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I agree. I got it with the X-E1 and figured I'd get another prime soon after that, but I used that for over a year before purchasing other lenses, 12mmR and 50-140. I contemplated replacing it with the 16-55, now having the X-T2, but chose to keep the 18-55 for the IQ and IS. The 18-55 as a kit lens is often joked about, considering how nice of a lens it is, I think it's a good move on Fuji's part to offer a quality starter lens when buying one of Their cameras. Enjoy!

hectorlektor likes this.
  3. ronsxpro

ronsxpro Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

What I find interesting, about this lens and the 50-230, is the only places I read about the supposed negatives of this lens, as a kit lens, are on posts where someone has "found" it to be a remarkable lens. I sold camera equipment in retail for 17 years and had every opportunity to try out photographic equipment and this "kit" lens blows away anything Canon and Nikon have for kit lenses. Panasonic is another story as they have licensed Leica to produce their kit lenses using Leitz's optical coatings so their kit lenses are also superb. I have also never read a bad review of the 18-55 anywhere and it is my go-to lens for 90% of what I photograph.

4. Macro

Macro Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes! Cat pics! Beautiful... looks very well pampered!
    Keep 'em coming!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  5. hectorlektor

hectorlektor Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I mean look at this, 55mm f4 no extra sharpening! I don't know if it's just my copy of the lens that is extra sharp or what, but this is seriously sharp.
    This is just snaps btw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pedro1948 and Macro like this.
  6. Macro

Macro Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Lovely! First one looks like belly rub satisfaction!

hectorlektor likes this.
  7. blacksheep

blacksheep Member

-Return to Top-

It's a workhorse. I won't get rid of mine. Sharp and so versatile.

8. Bud James

Bud James Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Great for a "kit" lens. Great for travel. That said, Fuji primes trumps it on IQ, but, the convenience and versatility of this zoom makes it great for vacations and hiking.

Although I have the Fuji 16-55 and all of the f2 primes, I still keep the 18-55 when I want to go light and need the versatility of a zoom.

If Fuji introduces a "Mark II" version of the 18-55 with weather resistance and optical improvements, I would buy it without any hesitation.

Regards,
    Bud James

www.budjames.photography

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Pedro1948 likes this.