This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

14mm Wide angle Chinese lens

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by Stu, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Stu

Stu Member

-Return to Top-

The Chinese lens manufacturers are constantly coming out with interesting, cheap lenses.
    None more interesting than the Jaray/Kaxinda 14mm f/3.5

Please login or register to view links

Please login or register to view links

Definitely not a low light lens but at $150 USD it's a tempting lens for landscapes.. It's not going to push the Fuji 14mm image-wise, out of the camera, but some PP could brighten things up a bit.

Seems the Chinese are up to their usual multi-branding of lenses...funnily enough Amazon are selling the Jaray version for $50 more than the Ebay, Kaxinda.

It sure looks like a neat little lens and I'm sorely tempted to hit buy!

I don't suppose anyone has tried one of these?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  2. Stu

Stu Member

-Return to Top-

Woops..I couldn't resist...a 10% discount today bringing it down to about $136 USD...and there is a 30 day return policy so if it's a complete lemon I'll only be up for freight back.
    If that review is to believed it sharpens up nicely at f/8, with low distortion and an attractive 15cm MFD!

3. BloodNGutsMurphy

BloodNGutsMurphy Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

How do you like the lens? Any issues? I am thinking of buying one over a used 18mm f2 (same price), to set at f8 and not worry about autofocus. It is also an appealing focal length I havent tried on the street before.

4. BloodNGutsMurphy

-Return to Top-

Looks like I cant edit my post above. I wanted to add some concerns:

Looking at the Chinese review I am unsure how impartial it is. Looking at the images overall it looks like a good lens. But there are a couple of things easily noticeable. The close up shots have corner smearing, which made me wonder whether the lens has a flat focal plane. It is made worse by the perspective distortion you always get at this focal length. It completely ruins the 2 photos. It would be rare to get that close for street photography but I would want to get that close with the electronic shutter occasionally.

I recently swapped a Chinese lens for another copy as it didnt have a flat focal plane. I was fine with it as it was the ultra cheap Fujian MK II 25mm f1.8, the 14mm is over 4 times the price. Complaints about consistency with the Zonlai 22mm have ruled that one out (unless a local shop starts selling it) and also made me wary of ordering a Chinese lens online. The wall photo makes it clear that the focal plane is not flat with only the center being sharp, but it doesn't appear to be a consistent roll off at the sides i.e. the left is worse than the right side.

The second concern is in regard to the unnatural distortion on the right side of the 2 white apartment building photos. It is visible to a lesser extent on the left of the photo with brown apartments. It is like the buildings are shaped liked flared pants near their bottom. Again, proably not going to be an issue I would run into much with street photography, but it might be an inconsistency.

I am probably being overly fussy but any comments on how you feel about the lens performance would be good, otherwise I will give it a year so that there is time for a Flickr gallery to be made with it and more reviews. A local shop has the 32mm f1.8 for a similar price so I might get that instead, where little lens issues wont be important as it will be a fun bokeh lens. The small size is very appealing, just wish it was 22mm rather than 32mm.

5. BloodNGutsMurphy

-Return to Top-

Meant to say 32mm f1.2 at the end.

6. Stu

Stu Member

-Return to Top-

Hi there.
    After using this lens a bit I'm afraid I couldn't recommend it.
    The output, allover, was very average.
    Pity, the focal length and price [and it's nicely built] are very attractive.
    I ended up getting the Fuji 10-24mm........just no comparison.....so generally, you get what you pay for. ;)

And if you are talking about the 7artisans 35mm f/1.2....I'd say go for it...I have it and think it's great!

BloodNGutsMurphy likes this.
  7. BloodNGutsMurphy

-Return to Top-

Thanks Stu, that's a big help and will stop me procrastinating. Although, since posting I had been leaning towards getting the 18mm F2 instead, which is realistically a more use-able focal length imo. And at f5.6 or f8 easy to set and forget with manual focusing from 1.5 meters ish to infinity. The autofocus should come in useful a few times at night, plus it is rather strangely priced where I am at £85 from one guy and £105 from a shop.

I think I will hold off on the 35mm f1.2 (sorry - got it wrong above). There seem to be some conflicting views about it (some like the design and focus ring and some don't). I imagine it would be a great design for easy focusing. Will give it a try soon. Another reason to stall with it is that there is another 35mm f1.2 now by Neewer, so it would be best to wait and see how they face off.

8. BloodNGutsMurphy

-Return to Top-

They only had the 35 in Canon mount, felt great but not the focus ring I was hoping for. Got the no name C mount red ring 35mm f1.6 for nearly a third of the price, so will probably grab the used 18mm f2 too. 14mm can wait a bit longer.